COVID Requirements for Entering Australia
Last updated: 21 June, 2022
Before planning your wicked Aussie backpacking itinerary, it’s best to make sure you are aware and meet the COVID requirements of travelling to Australia.
To help guide you on this part of your trip-planning, we’ve wrapped up the key information you need to know, including Australia’s entry requirements, your vaccination status, and declarations you’ll need to fill out. Given the changing nature of coronavirus, we recommend keeping updated with the most up-to-date information with the Australian Government’s official travel requirements.
Travelling to Australia: COVID Checklist
Fully vaccinated, eligible visa holders are able to travel to Australia without needing to apply for a travel exemption. To meet the requirements, you will need to:
- Have a valid and eligible visa
- Complete a Digital Passenger Declaration – referred to as a “DPD” – before boarding your flight. If you don’t make the declaration before boarding your flight, you might incur long delays when arriving in Australia.
- Be fully vaccinated for the purposes of international travel. Unvaccinated visa holders will still need to be in an exempt category or hold an individual travel exemption to enter Australia.
- Have proof of your vaccination status (and you may need to present this at airport check-in for your Australia travels).
- Wear a mask on the plane (unless you have an exemption).
In addition, you’ll need to meet the requirements of the particular State or Territory that you are arriving into. Some states don’t have any further requirements, whereas other states may. To stay up to date with these requirements, we recommend checking in with the government’s official information page here.
Do I need to provide a negative COVID-19 test before arriving in Australia?
No. You do not need to undertake a negative COVID-19 test before you travel to Australia. However, make sure you meet the requirements of any airline and any transit country you may be travelling through.
While you’re here! Are you sorting out all of the essential, nitty gritty admin for your Australia travels? Make sure ‘applying for a visa’ is on your list of things to do! Check out our blog where we’ve broken down the main types of visas that may be available for you.