The best towns to explore on day trips from Byron Bay
We’d forgive you for not wanting to leave Byron Bay’s centre at all during your getaway. But if you’re staying for more than a few days, we highly recommend hiring a car and exploring the nearby towns. Some are a foodie’s paradise, others are a nature-lover’s dream. Central to each however, is a unique charm that you must experience.
The best towns to visit on Byron Bay day trips
Blink and you’ll miss it! Newrybar is a tiny, charming town whose main ‘centre’ is just one, petite street. Don’t be fooled by its size though! Newrybar is a must-visit for foodies, coffee-lovers and those who love a bit of boutique homewares shopping. Where to go in Newrybar?
- You’ll quickly notice Harvest: a restaurant, bakery, artisan delicatessen, and edible garden, with a focus on seasonal, local and sustainable produce. Whether you’re popping in for a coffee or a sit-down breakfast (or lunch, or dinner!), be sure to slow down and simply enjoy your surroundings.
- Opposite is Newrybar Merchants. Inside its walls is a mecca of carefully curated homewares and locally crafted goods.
- Finally, Driftlab has your organic clothing and minimalist-style accessories sorted.
You must take a walk through the town Bangalow! Bangalow is an easy 20 minute drive from Byron and the setting of a fair few Instagram shots you might’ve come across. What to do (and where to eat) in Bangalow?
- Head to WOODS for beautiful breakfasts and freshly blended smoothies.
- For lunch, Butcher Baker is a must, with bangin’ burgers, serious sangas and super salads.
- As the sun sets, head to Our Corner Kitchen for Italian deliciousness. One look at their menu and we dare you to not start mouthwatering straight away!
- The Bangalow Markets are held on the 4th Sunday of the month. Here you’ll find stalls of artisan products, clothing, produce, baked goods, delicious food and coffee, all set within sprawling lawn and fig trees. Good vibes galore!
The world heritage-listed Gondwana Rainforests stretch from Newcastle to Brisbane. Lucky for us, five of the rainforest national parks are located in the Byron hinterland region, easy day trips from Byron Bay! We recommend:
- Pack the car, and take a drive along the Rainforest Way. This nature-drenched drive will take you through beautiful landscapes as you pick and choose which national parks, walks and waterfalls to stop off at along the way.
- Explore the Border Ranges National Park. Here, take the Pinnacle Walk to a lookout that gives you uninterrupted views of the Rainforests and the sacred Indigenous site of Mount Warning.
- Head to the magical outdoor wonderland of Nightcap National Park. Take a natural bath in the mesmerising Minyon Falls waterfall which plunges over 100 metres. If you’re feeling active, take the 3-4 hours Minyon Falls hiking track, or settle in for a peaceful lunch at one of the grassy picnic areas.
It’ll take just 18 minutes by car to reach Brunswick Heads – or simply ‘Bruns’ as it’s known to locals. In this coastal village, you’ll find plenty to do to fill up a day trip! Our best things to do in Brunswick Heads:
- Paddle out for a swim! You have the choice of taking a dip in the Brunswick River, the calm and protected Torakina Beach, or the Brunswick Heads Main Beach which is great for surfing.
- Feast at the local eateries. Hooper‘s is a must for the burger fiends amongst us, the Bruns Bakery is an institution, and you can’t go wrong with a classic pub meal at Hotel Brunswick either!
- Check out what’s on at the Brunswick Picture House! Or at the very least, make sure you stop by and peek inside this iconic building. Cabaret, live comedy, cinema and circus are some of the vibrant events you’ll find here, with many big names in the industry walking through its doors!
If you’re on the hunt for a hippy haven, you’ll find it at Nimbin! This town is a throwback to the 70s, embracing a colourful, alternative lifestyle and community culture.
While you’re here! You might like to check out our Byron Bay vegan food finds, or the top 6 insta-worthy places to visit in the area! Or if you’re keen for a road trip, then check out our itinerary inspiration for a Sydney to Byron Bay road trip!
Want to remember these for later? Save the image below to your Pinterest!
Featured image: http://www.brunswickheads.org.au/