What’s the weather like in Sydney?
You’ve made the decision to travel to Sydney, and now you’re packing your bag (or suitcase!) and wondering what kind of weather to expect? You’ve come to the right place! Below, we’ll let you in on what the weather is like in Sydney across the seasons, as well as some tips on what kind of clothes to pack for your trip.
What Is The Weather Like In Sydney – A Backpacker’s Guide
Like most places the world over, Sydney has four seasons – Summer, Spring, Autumn, Winter. But, unlike a lot of other areas, the seasons in Sydney aren’t too extreme. This means you probably won’t experience blistering heatwaves or super freezing days. Instead, you can expect a relatively mild and enjoyable climate all year round. We’ll dive into each season below!
Summer (December to February)
Summer is when you can expect the warmest temperatures in Sydney. The daytime average temperatures are around 25 – 26ºC (77 – 79ºF). Summer is the perfect time for hitting the beach and soaking up some sun, so be sure to pack those shorts and thongs (Aussie-speak for flip-flops!).The humidity is also quite high during Summer, and it’s not uncommon for there to be some warm, rainy days particularly in February. So make sure to pack some light and breathable clothing, as well as a raincoat.
Winter (June to August)
While our winter days are definitely not as cold as a lot of other countries, you can expect things to get a bit cooler during this time of year. The average daytime temperatures are around 17º (63ºF) and nights can drop to around 8ºC (46ºF). We know… it’s not exactly freezing! But still be sure to pack warmer clothing, including jackets and jumpers. Despite these being the coolest months of the year in Sydney, it’s still a super awesome time to experience the city as well as the beaches. Yep, you’ll find people surfing and swimming at Bondi Beach 365 days of the year!
Autumn (March to May)
The temperatures slowly starts to cool down during Autumn (or Fall, as you might know it). The average daytime temperature during this time is around 22°C (72°F) and at night, 14ºC (57ºF). It’s still a great time to explore the city and enjoy outdoor activities, but you might want to pack a light jacket or sweater for the cooler evenings.
Spring (September to November)
Spring is a fantastic time in Sydney. Everyone’s spirits are high as the temperature starts to warm up again, the days get longer, and flowers are blooming everywhere. The average daytime temperature is around 23ºC (73ºF).
When Does It Rain In Sydney?
While the wettest months are usually from around March to June, you’ll find that Sydney can experience pockets of rain throughout the year – even big warm thunderstorms in Summer (December to February)! So it’s always a good idea to pack a rain jacket no matter when you’re planning to travel, just in case. And don’t let the rain dampen your spirits. Sydney is a beautiful city with plenty to see and do, rain or shine! You might like to check out our list of things to do if it’s raining in Sydney.
What To Pack For Your Trip To Sydney For All Seasons
Use our weather information above to act as a guide on the kind of things you might want to pack more/less of. T-shirts, tank tops, shorts, and dresses are a must for the summer months, while jeans, a jumper and a light jacket will come in handy during the winter. Layers will be your friend. Oh, and don’t forget to pack a raincoat, because you never know when a sudden shower might hit! Here are some other essentials, that will help you out no matter the season:
- Light and breathable clothing: Light clothing that you can layer up is a great idea. In Summer, these will help you with the humidity, and during Winter, they’ll keep you comfortable as you go from indoors to outdoors.
- Warm jacket/jumper: During winter, bring this! It doesn’t have to be a heavy jacket that you would wear in the European winter. But it should still be something that can keep your warm and toasty!
- Comfortable walking shoes: You’re going to do a LOT of walking in Sydney – our free guided walking tours are just the start! Wear in your shoes before coming to Australia, so they are super comfortable. Also, bring flip-flops (or as we like to say, thongs!).
- Sunscreen: No matter if you’re visiting summer or winter, sunscreen is a must. The Aussie sun is much harsher than other parts of the world, so wear your sunscreen everyday.
- Swimsuit: Bathers, boardies, bikins, swimmers, togs… whatever you call them, pack them! You’ll be hitting the beach in Sydney (again – at any time of the year), so pack a swimsuit. Remember to bring a towel too – lookout for a travel towel that rolls up super small, to save you space.
While you might be tempted to over-pack, may we suggest keeping it simple. You can use your hostel laundry to wash your clothes regularly, and a city like Sydney has all of the shops you need (including brands like Zara and H&M) should you find yourself in need!
So, there you have it, backpackers! Sydney’s weather is pretty awesome all year round, and with a bunch of layers and a little pre-planning, you’ll be ready for whatever Mother Nature throws your way. Enjoy your trip and don’t forget to soak up all the fun that Sydney has to offer!